Olivia decided last February, when we talked about John the Baptist and what baptism is in Sunday School, that she wanted to be baptized. I contacted our pastor, and so began our journey to July 28th, possibly one of my happiest days ever.
Olivia is really mature in her faith for a 6 year old. We talked a lot about what baptism means, and what it means to be a follower of Christ, between February and now.
When Olivia decided she wanted to be baptized, Spencer said there was no way he would ever do that. He was NOT putting his head under the water! Then, he decided maybe he would do it when he was an "old firefighter like his dad". By the time we had spent the summer at water park and he had completed swimming lessons, putting his head under was a piece of cake.
The Saturday before Olivia was baptized, Spencer decided he wanted to be baptized. He had listened to me talk to Olivia a lot about what it means. He told me he has Jesus in his heart, he wants to be a follower of Jesus, and Jesus is the One True King. I knew it was not my place to tell him he was too little. I just felt in my heart, if he could say it so concisely, Jesus would not turn him away. If he decides later he wants to do it again, that's fine, too.
Happiness! Just pure happiness!
I was baptized when I was four years old by sprinkling in the Lutheran Church. I have wanted to be baptized by immersion for quite some time. When Olivia decided she wanted to be baptized in February, I wanted to do it, too!
Richard wanted to be baptized, too!
Richard's parents shared in the day!
My parents and my Grandma Lane came to watch, too!

No comments:
Post a Comment