The Grandma Robel I love to remember
Last month my family said good-bye to a very, very special woman, my Grandma Robel. I think her death is a reminder to me that when it comes to our physical bodies and our minds, time really is not our friend. Her mental and physical health slowly deteriorated over the last ten years, but her sweet nature remained throughout. I know she is with Jesus today. As my Dad said at her funeral, if she could have looked back on her time here on earth, we can hear her say "I had a wonderful life!!!".Here are some of my favorite things to remember about my Grandma. They are things are want my children to know.
1. Their Great Grandma Robel made the best peach pies ever, truly the best.
2. She also made wonderful strawberry jam and rolls to go with it.
3. When I was little we would walk way out to the end of her yard (it's a long way to a little girl) and pick raspberries together off her raspberry bushes. I think I ate more than half of what I picked.
4. Sometimes we'd take the long journey to the end of the yard to feed bread to the neighbor's chickens or swing on the old wooden swing.
5. Grandma Robel would talk to me on the phone for hours and hours at a time. I'd fall asleep, but she wouldn't hang up because she was afraid the dial tone would wake me if she did.
6. We'd play Dukes of Hazard and I'd be Daisy Duke. She'd be Bo and Luke and every other character I'd ask her to be.
7. She'd sing me songs like "This Old Man" and "I Love You a Bushel and a Peck".
8. I never remember her yelling at me or getting upset with me. She'd let "her little granddaughter" do just about anything.
Even when she was alive, I missed her as she got older. I hope she knew how much we loved her, because she sure was special to every person whose life she touched.

Thanks for sharing your memories. I love the memory of her playing Dukes of Hazard with you. What an awesome grandma! I'm sure she knew how much she was loved. I think it is so precious that she got to meet Mindy's husband and Spencer. That is so wonderful. I hope you are all doing well. I continue to pray for you guys!
ReplyDelete