Olivia loves to be a helper. She especially enjoys helping Richard feed the dogs in the evening. She has learned to crouch down to maintain her balance when we first let Lucy (our horse-sized black lab), Bandit (our blue healer cow dog), and Dodger (our Cocker spaniel) out of the backyard into the garage. She has already been whacked and knocked down by Lucy's tail, which swings back and forth nonstop, more than once. Lucy is completely oblivious and just happy to have a human around. For some reason, Olivia still feels a special love for all our dogs and she can't wait to feed them every night. The other day, when I was washing my car, I looked in the garage and saw Olivia had opened up the dog's treat container. She took such pride in reaching her hand way in, then stretching her little arm way out to provide each of our canines with a biscuit. The sparkle in her blue eyes just lit up the dark garage. I am not sure how many bones each dog received before I rained on the parade. What a helper!
Later that same day I decided to clean the house up a bit. Olivia was so excited to get her own dust rag. As you can see, she was very serious about her job; she dusted the edge of the table in a circular pattern for a good three minutes. Before I knew it she had grabbed her clean white blanket and was scrubbing away on my hardwood kitchen floor. I was amazed! I am sure she must have learned that one from Miss Margie, her babysitter, because I use a Swiffer and haven't scrubbed the floor on my hands and knees for a long, long time. What a helper!
Last cute example. . . The three of us were shopping at the grocery store today and Olivia insisted on walking down the aisle next to us. While I was busy finding a loaf of bread with a decent expiration date, Olivia was carrying loaf after loaf back to our cart, smushing each package in her arms as she trucked across the aisle. When we walked past the Hostess donuts, her face lit up with a grin and she handed a package to her Daddy. Later on she insisted on carrying my potato chips back to our cart and tossing them in . . . Richard and I smiled at each other as we heard the crunching chips. What a helper!
Who would have believed the little things in life could take on such special meaning and evoke such incredible feelings of joy and love? I wouldn't have believed it 18 months ago. Thanks Little Helper!

No comments:
Post a Comment